Rules & Information of The Festival
1. The competition is for amateur and students (who do not attend full-time vocational dance college) or the majority of their income is from teaching or performance of dance. Under 21 years of Age.
2. The age of the competitor is taken as on 1st September of the previous year of the festival. Duets and Stage Groups Class in determined but the oldest competitors age. Petersfield Dance Festival reserves the right to request proof of age if necessary in the case of a dispute.
3. Petersfield Dance Festival reserve the right to return an entry without assigning a reason.
4. All Entries must be supported by a completed entry form from a Teacher/Principal of Dance school either online or paper copy.
5. Petersfield Dance Festival may combine classes when entries are small, divide when large and make other rules and regulations as occasions may arise.
6. The Adjudicator’s decision is final, any communication with the adjudicator concerning any matters of the competition is strictly prohibited.
7. Competitors must enter and dance in the correct category for their age and genre. Competitors are required to dance in the order of the programme.
8. We advise Competitors to arrive around an hour before their class in order to get ready and warm up, however, backstage space is limited so priority will be given to the order of performance. Competitors must report to stage official 15 minutes before the start of their class and be ready in the wings before their number is announced, anyone absent runs the risk of disqualification.
9. Competitors may not perform more than once in solo classes of their age group, or twice in duets (with the same partner). Younger competitors may perform out of their age group in each Stage Group or Duet Class.
10. Small Stage Groups 3-4 Dancers, Large Stage Groups 5-24 Dancers – Which have been combined due to numbers.
11. In all classes please ensure the costume, movement and music is appropriate for the age of the entrant.
12.Pointe work is not allowed for any entrant under 13 years of age.
13. No food or Drink (except bottle water) allowed in the auditorium.
14. This is a non-smoking venue, including e-cigarettes.
15. All lost property must be claimed by 30th September 2017 please email any enquiries.
16. The Petersfield Dance Festival comply with the Data Protection Act 1998.
17. Any inappropriate or unsportsmanlike behaviour will not be tolerated, Petersfield Dance Festival reserve the right to disqualify an entry on these grounds and not refund entrance fees.
18. Please ensure all mobile phones are turned off so it doesn’t disturb the performance.
19. Strictly no fees will be refunded under any circumstance.
20. Solo’s –
A novice dancer is a dancer who has NOT received a medalist place 1st 2nd or 3rd in any festival. Dancers who have obtained a medal place must dance in the open section (if age appropriate)
However novice dancers are able to dance in the open section if they prefer. This should be the choice of the teacher where they deem the entrant would be best suited.
Duets and Groups are open section and all participants are welcome.
21. Where appropriate
Classical – This includes Ballet, Character & Lyrical.
Caberet – This includes Modern, Tap, Song & Dance.
22. Please email any complaints to email@example.com These rules are final, but complaints will be carefully considered by the festival organiser.
We have a tuck shop available selling snacks drinks & light lunches.
Petersfield Dance Festival will not have use of a card machine, admission, programmes & tuck shop will be cash only. Petersfield Dance Festival does not accept liability for any loss of possessions or valuables.
In the event of a fire please make your way swiftly and sensibly out of one of the fire exits and meet on the astro turf.
Performers must be medical fit to perform. Please inform the festival if there are any medical conditions we should be made aware of. If first aid is required please ask one of the organisers.
23. Photography, film, video or tape recording is prohibited in the performance hall. We have an official photographer, photos can be viewed in the auditorium. Please advise the festival organiser asap if you do not wish any entries to not be photographed. By entry to this competition competitors and their guardians agree to perform before the cameras of the media or any agent of the competition.
24. All staff and volunteers have been DBS checked and will also adhere to The Petersfield Dance Festival Child Protection Policy.
25. The Festival’s Safe Guarding Policy and approach to Creating Safer Festivals for Everyone is published explicitly in our Syllabus, Programme and Website. By completing and signing the entry form all parents / guardians / carers and teachers of competitors under 18 (or vulnerable adults of any age) confirm that they give (or have obtained) the necessary consents for the competitors to take part in the Festival. Without consent the entry to the Festival cannot be accepted.
26. Acknowledgement of reading and complying to safeguarding policies, rules of the festivals must be entered on the entrance form.
27. Petersfield Dance Festival does not accept liability for the infringement of copyright, recording or performing rights arising out of any competitors accompaniment or performance. Petersfield Dance Festival are covered by The Petersfield School group licence to cover payment of fees for the use of recorded music at its events. teachers and choreographers using music created from commercial recordings are advised that they are responsible for seeking the permission to re-record from the recording companies concerned.
28. Please Ensure music is recorded on to CD clearly labelled with the performers name and dance title, please double check this plays on a CD player and is formatted correctly, a back up on another device is advised as we will have an aux cable on hand. Music is to be handed in 30 mins before the start of the class and can be picked up from the trays outside the auditorium.
29. Time limits for dances must not be exceeded.
30. Please provide the title of the dance for Character, Song & Dance and Group dances only and a short synopsis (Character Only) for no more than 30 words. This will be announced at the beginning of the number.
31. The sound box is out of bounds.
32. The quality of the sound and recording of the music may be taken into consideration by the adjudicator.
33.No re-dance unless it is at fault of the music.
34. Live singing is only allowed in the song & dance class. Pre-recorded singing or chanting is NOT allowed in the song & dance class.
35. Pre-recorded music in the tap class must NOT include any recorded tap or similar sound effect.
36. The stage and wings are completely out of bounds except to an authorised persons and competitors about to perform. Once performed competitors should swiftly leave the stage and only return to the wings 3 numbers before the end of their class. ONE Assistant may be side of stage to accompany children under 8 as we appreciate younger competitors new to the festival world may need some support although due to space side of stage we encourage you to prepare your performers to be unaccompanied side of stage with officials only. You may also be side of stage to help with any props or wardrobe changes which may take place during the number.
Props are bought and stored at the festival at your own risk, Petersfield Dance Festival does not accept liability for any damage of props. Overly large or dangerous props may be asked to be removed from the premises if deemed unsafe by the festival organiser.
37. The Audience must not enter during a performance or adjudication and at the discretion of the stewards.
38. The Audience is encouraged to show their appreciation of performance through clapping NOT cheering or chanting.
39. A maximum of 2 teachers tickets will be allocated per school, these must be ordered in advance.
40. Tickets for spectators for each session can be purchased on the day of performing or in advance from when the festival opens on Thursday 27th July. Please note these will be colour coded wristbands which will be required to be presented in order to gain entry.
Trophies & Certificates
41. Trophies are not awarded to each class, they are normally only awarded to a competitor achieving over 84 marks or above. This is at the sole discretion of the Adjudicator.
42. Trophy winner may have their name inscribed on the trophy at their own expense keeping in style of the trophy.
Medals can be awarded for 1st 2nd & 3rd Place, all competitors will received a certificate of commemoration.
43. Trophies must be returned in good condition no later than the following 30th April.
44. If a trophy is lost or damaged Petersfield Dance Festival reserves the right to charge the recipient for the repair or replacement, failing that the charge will be made to the dance school of entry. This may result in any further trophies not being rewarded the to recipient/school.
45. Adjudicators marks and certificates will be available for collection from Dance schools boxes outside the auditorium.
Changing rooms/backstage plus additional classrooms provided
46.Schools and parents are responsible for leaving the premises, especially the changing rooms, clean and tidy at the end of each day. The festival is charged a penalty per half hour for overstaying our agreed time. Please help us to keep our costs down by leaving promptly at the end of each day.
Any accidents/spillages must be reported to the organisers to minimise the cost and effort involved in cleaning them up.
47.Additional classrooms in the building opposite have been provided as green rooms, these are for everyones use to relax and prepare before performing. You may arrive onsite earlier than your class call time to prepare in the green rooms.
Performers will only be allowed backstage 30 mins before their class time (space dependant) performers entrance is down the side of the building (please follow the signs) On arrival at the entries door the performer will be ticked off this is your signing in, performers are allowed ONE adult into the backstage changing area with them.
48.The main changing area will be girls only, we have an additional 2 smaller rooms 1 will be a boys only changing room one will be a family room. If at any point these rooms are not being used (e.g. the boys only changing room) it will be used as an additional girls changing room.
The main rule is that we hope you all have a wonderful experience at Petersfield First Dance Festival. Thankyou to all who have entered plus parents and teachers behind the scenes. A special thanks to all volunteers & helpers too.
Don’t forget to check in on Facebook page www.facebook.com/petersfielddancefestival